McGregor
Conor McGregor 2024 2 1280x810

Conor McGregor is closer than ever to stepping back into the Octagon. After years of setbacks, injuries, and speculation, Conor McGregor revealed that the UFC has officially offered him a fight and he’s already said yes. Now, he’s waiting on the paperwork.


“I have been offered an opponent and a date and I accept,” McGregor wrote on X. “Waiting on my contract.”
He quickly deleted the post, but the message was clear: Conor McGregor is preparing for his long-awaited return.

Conor McGregor hasn’t fought since July 2021, when he suffered a gruesome broken leg in his trilogy bout with Dustin Poirier. The injury sidelined the former two-division champion for years.

He targeted 2024 for his comeback and even coached opposite Michael Chandler on The Ultimate Fighter to build anticipation for their fight at UFC 303. But just weeks before the event, McGregor broke his toe in training and withdrew. The UFC never rebooked the matchup.

When President Donald Trump announced plans for a UFC event on the White House lawn as part of the American 250 celebration, Conor McGregor immediately inserted himself into the conversation.

McGregor has publicly supported Trump in the past and even visited the White House previously. Once the June 14 event in Washington, D.C., became official, he began openly campaigning for a spot on the card.

UFC CEO Dana White recently confirmed that matchmaking for the White House event was nearly finalized. Given the timing of McGregor’s announcement, it’s hard to ignore the possibility that his accepted offer ties directly to that historic card, which is expected to feature only six or seven fights.

McGregor
McGregor

While Conor McGregor didn’t name his opponent or confirm the date, all signs point toward June 14.
Getting Conor McGregor back under contract hasn’t been straightforward.

Earlier this year, McGregor claimed his UFC deal was effectively void following the promotion’s massive $7.7 billion broadcast agreement with Paramount. He argued that his previous contract was structured around pay-per-view revenue, a model that has since evolved.

“I’m going into negotiations with the Ultimate Fighting Championship in February,” McGregor previously said. “I’m very interested to go. They’ve actually got a new deal with Paramount, it’s worth $7.7 billion. So the company has 4xed its profit.

“My contract, essentially, is void right now because there’s no more PPV, whereas my contract was based on PPV sales. I’m the highest-generating PPV fighter of all time. The PPV system is done, I’m due a new contract.

“So, we’re going into negotiations in February, and I’m very interested to see how it goes.”

If he’s now been offered a date and opponent, negotiations clearly progressed. In recent months, Conor McGregor has recommitted himself to training. He has shared footage of intense gym sessions and has noticeably reduced his outside business appearances, including events with BKFC, where he serves as a co-owner.


He looks leaner. He looks focused. And for the first time in years, a return feels tangible. The only thing left is the signature.


If Conor McGregor signs the contract and the UFC makes it official, 2026 could feature one of the biggest comebacks in MMA history, possibly on the most historic stage the sport has ever seen.

Leave a comment